Tuina based Reflexology
Tuina foot reflexology is a hands-on treatment that uses finger pressure on various reflex zones on the sole of the foot. The reflex zones are connected via the nerve-pathways to particular organs and body areas.
Through reflexology, blocked energy channels (meridians) throughout the body become stimulated and freed. Strengthening both the immune system as well as the self healing power of the body. Researches have shown that over 70% of health-related problems are due to stress and strain that jumble up your nerves or blocks your other physiological systems.
Tuina Reflexology works by releasing stress and enhancing relaxation, in a similar fashion to acupuncture. It cleanses the cells, eliminates accumulated toxins which are the root cause of those knots in the first place, and restores the free flow of energy (qi ) along the meridian.
It was discovered that Qi (pronounced chi or chee), or life energy, circulates in the body along the meridians or zones. If the balance between the organs is interrupted, the flow of Chi throughout the body will be affected, resulting in illness.
Under stress or strain the body functions in Sympathetic Nervous System mode (fight or flight). By applying pressure on the reflex points it enhances blood circulation and delivery of oxygen and nutrients to the muscles and tissues. This helps the body to get into the parasympathetic mode, or rest and repair stage, where its own immune system is activated, gradually helping to revitalize the intricate functioning of the various organs. It can be a slow process, as the therapy encourages the body to heal itself at its own pace; therefore, to get good results one must continue the therapy over a sustained period.
Tuina (or Chinese) reflexology differs slightly from Western reflexology as it involves applying firm pressure in sweeping movements on the various points of the feet (some points may be a little tender). Before the massage, the patient's feet maybe kept warm by soaking them for about 10 to 20 minutes in a footbath with various herbal formulas. The patient may also be given warm fluids such as green tea throughout the massage session. This is done to improve circulation. As well as treating the the whole body via reflex points of the foot, Tuina based reflexology can also treat musco-skeletal problems of the foot, ankle, and leg itself:
A series of Tuina Foot Reflexology treatments can alleviate health problems as diverse as:
- blood disorders as it improves circulation and lymphatic flow
- help with sprains and strains of the lower limbs and joints
- relax and to overcome stress-related disorders such as exhaustion, depression, restlessness, insomnia, headache/migraine or burn out (great for jet-lag)
- strengthen the immune system
- recover from traumatic injury or major surgery
- stomach problems
- Pre Menopausal Syndrome (PMS) (In a study conducted by the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, a prestigious medical-research journal, Reflexology was evaluated as the most benefi cial treatment for females suffering from PMS. The symptoms experienced can be reduced considerably during treatment, and the effects sustained for over two months after treatment cessation.)
- cleanse and detox the body (great before conception and also if there is delay in labour during pregnancy)
- relieve muscular tensions, gynecological discomforts or menopausal symptoms
- promote the natural function of the body areas